NEW BLOG FEATURE

NEW: VIEW RIGHT SIDE TAB AND SELECT
CITY FOR TASTE OF HAWAII FAVORITES!

Saturday, June 11, 2011

MAILE'S THAI BISTRO

MAILE'S THAI BISTRO
HAWAII KAI, HAWAII 

It is done.  I now have a new favorite Thai Restaurant.  After my 20 year plus love affair with Mekong on Beretania (which is now closed) I can move on and make Maile's in Hawaii Kai my favorite Thai restaurant.  I have known Maile for 20 years and believe me, she has not aged over the years.  Still beautiful, charming and the ultimate host for the restaurant.  Her staff is happy and provides top notch service every time.  The food rocks here.  Beautiful presentations and big bold flavors that amaze me.  We started with a dish of crispy noodles with bean sprouts and cilantro served with a sweet sauce.  Think this is the house appetizer that everyone gets when they dine here.  Just a light and fresh way to start the meal.  We ordered Spring Rolls ($8.90).  Golden deep fried spring rolls stuffed with mushrooms, carrots, long rice, ground pork and spices.  Served with slices of fresh cucumber, mint leaves, lettuce and house sweet and sour sauce.  I take a little bit of everything from above wrap it all in the lettuce, add some hot sauce and bam.  One of the best spring rolls on the Island.  Loved them.  Next up were the Maile Rolls ($9.90).  Vegetables rolled with shrimp and seasoned pork, wrapped in soft rice paper and served with the house special sauce.  These were beautiful on the plate and in my stomach.  The next dish came from Maile.  I would have never ordered off the menu.  It is simply called Cold Tofu ($4.90).  Yuck to me.  Boy was I wrong.  This was the best Tofu dish I have ever eaten.  Will order it every time I return.  Can't believe I am saying this.  I don't like Tofu.  What makes this dish special and tasty is Maile's Ginger Soy Chili Sauce.  This sauce would make a shoe taste good.  She should bottle it.  The entire table was amazed by this Tofu dish.  Next up were Maile's French Fries.  Yes, French Fries at a Thai restaurant.  They are sliced thin and crunch.  Probably some of the best fries you can get in Hawaii.  We love them.  The Pad Thai Noodles also rock here.  Noodles served with bean sprouts, carrot, green onion and peanuts.  The Seafood with Vegetables was also delicious.  Large scallops, calamari, shrimp and fish served with fresh vegetables in a really good sauce.  The Thai Yellow Curry ($8.90) was served with chicken, curry sauce, coconut milk, potato and carrots.  Not spicy but good flavor.  The Larb Salad ($9.90) was served with minced chicken and fresh herbs.  You can wrap the larb in lettuce or cabbage.  There are dozens of other dishes on Maile's menu and believe me I want to try them all.  This is a TASTE OF HAWAII FAVORITE.
Click links below for more posts on Maile's Thai Bistro:
http://greateatshawaii.blogspot.com/2013/12/mailes-thai-bistro-revisited.html
http://greateatshawaii.blogspot.com/2010/08/mailes-thai-bistro.html

MAILE'S THAI BISTRO

SARAH AND COREY.  JUST DAYS BEFORE THEY HAVE FIRST BABY

CRISPY NOODLES
MAILE ROLLS
SPRING ROLLS
SOME OF THE BEST FRIES ON THE ISLAND
PAD THAI WITH CHICKEN
SEAFOOD WITH VEGETABLES
THAI YELLOW CURRY
LARB - MINCHED CHICKEN SALAD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and feedback