NEW BLOG FEATURE

NEW: VIEW RIGHT SIDE TAB AND SELECT
CITY FOR TASTE OF HAWAII FAVORITES!

Sunday, May 27, 2018

SEKIYA'S RESTAURANT AND DELICATESSEN

SEKIYA'S RESTAURANT AND DELICATESSEN
2746 KAIMUKI AVE
HONOLULU, HI. 96816
808-732-1656
HOURS:  Daily 8:00 AM - 10:00 PM
www.sekiyasrestaurant.com
www.yelp.com/biz/sekiyas-restaurant-and-delicatessen-honolulu

Really kills me to write a post like this on Sekiya's.  This place has been in business since 1935 and is somewhat of an institution in Kaimuki.  Why I have not eaten here in my 30 plus years in Hawaii when I have lived near the restaurant and have driven by the place a million times was clear today.  
Quite possibly some of the worst food we have ever eaten in Hawaii.  I hate to say this but gotta call it like I eat em.  Now let me say this.  The food and staff were terrific.  Always smiling and checking on our water and table.  Everyone seemed to want to make us happy.  This was nice.  The food however really was a turn off and somewhat uneatable.  I am talking bad.  Really bad.  I ordered the Combination Special ($18.95) and chose Beef Teriyaki and Yakitori Chicken.  Served with Miso Soup, Cabbage and Rice.  The Miso Soup was good and included lots of Green Onion which I like.  This was by far the best thing I ate here all day.  The Tsukemono (Cabbage) was bland and tasteless.  Could also see those black dots that often show up on old cabbage.  Don't think they did anything with this cabbage then maybe boil it.  No seasoning or pickling.  The Beef Teriyaki was seriously uneatable.  The Beef tasted dry and old like it was sitting for a day or two.  I could not eat it.  My Daughter ate three small pieces and we left the rest on the table.  The Yakitori Chicken was eatable but very dry and hard.  Again left most on the plate.  This was a $20 meal and I was very disappointed. Heck even the rice was dry and a bit hard.  Left that too.  My Wife ordered the Shrimp Tempura ($15.25).  The Tempura Batter was raw on the back side and the batter was tasteless.  Even the Dipping Sauce lacked any flavor.  The Shrimp was topped with dry noodles which added nothing to the dish.  Dry hard noodles?  We thought that my Daughters Ox Tail Soup ($17.95) would be the saving grace of dishes.  Nope.  We all agreed the most bland and tasteless Ox Tail Soup ever.  The broth had no taste.  The Ox Tail had no taste.  Again left most on the table.  At the end of this meal we all asked ourselves "whats for lunch"?  So disappointing and really one of the worst meals ever in Hawaii.  Hurts me to say this but true.

SEKIYA'S YAKITORI CHICKEN

SEKIYA'S IN KAIMUKI SINCE 1935
TAKE OUT DELI IN FRONT AND DINING ROOM SEATING 
BEAUTIFUL GARDEN OUT BACK
SEKIYA'S MENU







MISO SOUP
CABBAGE
OX TAIL SOUP 
SHRIMP TEMPURA 
A LOT OF TEMPURA AND VERY LITTLE SHRIMP
BEEF TERIYAKI

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and feedback