NEW BLOG FEATURE

NEW: VIEW RIGHT SIDE TAB AND SELECT
CITY FOR TASTE OF HAWAII FAVORITES!

Saturday, May 1, 2010

DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING - LORRAINE HOTEL - MEMPHIS, TN

DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING, JR.
LORRAINE HOTEL
MEMPHIS, TN


WATCH THE VIDEO

I would highly recommend a visit to the National Civil Rights Museum at the Lorraine Hotel whenever you visit Memphis. This is a moving experience for all of us who respect Dr. Martin Luther King. Seeing the actual hotel and the tragic site of Dr. King's death really touched me. The tears swelled as I stood before the balcony where Dr. King was shot down at the young age of 39. He was in Memphis to organize and participate in a peaceful march for garbage workers. The night before his death he gave a speech that expressed his knowledge that he would not survive the week. At the end of the speech he fell back and was assisted to sit down by those around him. Dr. King was on his way to have dinner with a fellow preacher the evening of his death. One shot rang out from the building across the street while Dr. King stood on the balcony in front of room 306. The shot stopped a man, but not the will of the people.  Here are Dr. King's words from his last speech. "Well, I don't know what will happen now. We've got some difficult days ahead. But it doesn't matter with me now. Because I've been to the mountaintop. And I don't mind. Like anybody. I would like to have a long life. Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the promised land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the promised land. And I'm happy, tonight. I'm not worried about anything. I'm not fearing any man. Mine eyes have seen the glory of the coming of the lord".

I have visited the Lorraine Hotel and walked into the room where Dr. King spent his last hours. The room has been restored just as it was when Dr. King was murdered. The museum also contains dozens of exhibits and chronicles the history of civil rights in America. The tour is $15 and well worth the price.  I came to Memphis to see Elvis…..I left with with admiration and thoughts of Mr. King.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and feedback