NEW BLOG FEATURE

NEW: VIEW RIGHT SIDE TAB AND SELECT
CITY FOR TASTE OF HAWAII FAVORITES!

Friday, February 3, 2012

UNCLE CLAY'S SHAVE ICE - AINA HAINA, HAWAII

UNCLE CLAY'S SHAVE ICE
AINA HAINA, HAWAII


Just down the walkway from Foodland Farms Supermarket in Aina Haina is Uncle Clay's Shave Ice.  When I entered Uncle Clay's I did not know how this guy could stay in business and did not get his limited menu and t-shirts for sale with his picture on them.  When I left, we were part of Uncle Clay's "Ohana" (family) and convinced that this was a person that should be cherished.  What happened in 15 minutes is astounding to a marketing guy like me.  First we ordered a Shave Ice that the girls behind the counter made with a true passion and love.  They do not rush the process and take time to make the shave ice the best they can.  They shave a layer of ice and then add the sauce.  Shave some more and add more sauce.  Most places just shave the ice quickly and then pour sauce over the top.  These girls did it in time consuming layers.  I stood away in the corner and let my daughter pay at the counter.  Uncle Clay himself was working the cash register and engaged her in conversation.  Keli was magnetized by his presence and interest.  I was standing around just waiting to get out of the place.  Uncle Clay saw this and whispered to Keli "what is your Dad's name?".  Keli told him and the next thing I know, Uncle Clay is asking me by name how am I doing.  He engaged me and brought me into his world.  Then he introduced me to his sister who was in the store.  He talked about their weekly dinners together and what a great cook she was.  He then said that my daughter was very special and we were now part of his Ohana (family).  Wow....I thought this is marketing.  But it was more than that.  It was an awakening to what power a single person has in this world.  Uncle Clay is something very special.  He has lived a life and understands what it is to give back and show love and Aloha.  He is the true spirit of Aloha.  And according to my daughter the shave ice is the best.
 
 
KELI ENJOYS A GREAT SHAVE ICE
IN FRONT OF UNCLE CLAY'S STORE

UNCLE CLAY TALKING TO KELI.
THIS IS A VERY SPECIAL MAN.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and feedback