NEW BLOG FEATURE

NEW: VIEW RIGHT SIDE TAB AND SELECT
CITY FOR TASTE OF HAWAII FAVORITES!

Sunday, September 27, 2009

HAWAII' I PONO' I

HAWAI' I PONO 'I
OFFICIAL SONG OF THE STATE OF HAWAII
STAN SHERIFF CENTER, UNIVERSITY OF HAWAII
HONOLULU, HI

We caught this rendition of the Hawaii State Song at a recent University of Hawaii Rainbow Wahine Volleyball Game at the the Stan Sheriff Center. This 13 year old did a nice job.
Hawai 'I Pono 'I was written by King David Kalakaua and is played at most sporting events along with our National Anthem.

Hawaii ponoi Nana ikou, mai
kalani Alii, ke Alii
Makua Lani e Kamehameha e
Na kaua e pale Me ka i he

Translation:

Hawaii's own true sons, be loyal to your chief
Your country's liege and lord, the Alii
Father above us all, Kamehameha
Who guarded in the war with this ihe

Alii (ah-lee-ee) sovereign
ihe (ee-hay) spear

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and feedback