NEW BLOG FEATURE

NEW: VIEW RIGHT SIDE TAB AND SELECT
CITY FOR TASTE OF HAWAII FAVORITES!

Sunday, January 21, 2024

IMAGES OF SOUTH AFRICA

There is so much beauty in South Africa and you are seeing a bit of this on my blog.  There is however another side of the country just like everywhere else in the World.  The shanty towns and small communities all around the country represent diverse cultures and a variety of classes.  From the ultra rich to middle class and the poorest of the poor.  We saw it all and it touched my heart.  I think it humbled me in many ways and made me look deep inside myself and realize how blessed we are.  I don't care where you go anywhere in the world, people are the same and want the same things; family, food and a home.  To see people with literally nothing and very few avenues to succeed or get out to build a better life smiling, laughing, holding their children, playing and enjoying time with family and friends made me realize a lot of things about life and the world we live in.  How can government allow this to happen I thought.  Entire communities are showering together in public baths with water that is from the sewer.  Our Zulu guide on one of these trips was simple and direct explaining the absolute horrific conditions thousands of South Africans are living in.  The shanty towns are everywhere and they are not getting better.  Our guide said that he wanted us to see this part of South Africa so we understand the real story of the people.  We traveled through the absolute worst communities where it looked like there was no hope.  You could see the depression in peoples eyes.  Many looking blank.  No smiles and no hope.  Then there was the communities while still poor, were filled with families smiling, riding bikes and hanging out talking.  Their smiles filled me with hope and made me feel blessed to be here.  The people of South Africa were very good to us.  While some places seemed dangerous and a bit scary, the people who we came in contact with showed us Aloha and respect.  Always offering to help and in several cases pulling out their cell phones to call others who spoke better English.  I am grateful to have me these people and hope I can return someday to give back to them.
Click link below to view more photos of Cape Town;

IMAGES OF SOUTH AFRICA




































































 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and feedback