NEW BLOG FEATURE

NEW: VIEW RIGHT SIDE TAB AND SELECT
CITY FOR TASTE OF HAWAII FAVORITES!

Friday, January 4, 2013

ISLAND TACO - WAIMEA, KAUAI

ISLAND TACO
WAIMEA, HAWAII
ISLAND OF KAUAI

ISLAND TACO
9643 KAUMUALII HIGHWAY
WAIMEA, KAUAI, HAWAII
808-338-9895
HOURS:   11:00 AM - 5:00 PM DAILY

Driving along the coast of Kauai heading into the small town of Waimea when we see a taco stand on the side of the road.  There were several tables of people sitting in front of the restaurant so we thought they might have some good tacos.  If you read this blog on a regular basis, you will know that I am passionate about tacos and try just about every taco stand that is within my reach.  I noticed several taco stands on the Island of Kauai, but many were closed when we drove by.  Island Taco was open so we ventured in to try a couple of their tacos.  This is a small take out place with tables out front along the highway leading to Waimea Canyon.  We ordered at the counter.  One Wasabi Ahi Taco ($8) and one Kalua Pork Taco ($7).  My nephew commented on paying $8 for a single taco but I said lets just try them.  We ordered at the window and then took a seat outside on the patio.  After a very long wait a very nice lady brought our tacos to our table.  The Wasabi Ahi Taco is billed as being lightly seared with Cajun spices with Wasabi Aioli Sauce.  This was a taco unlike anything I have ever eaten and was the worst taco of my life next to the Fish Tacos served at the South Shore Grille on Oahu.  First off was the Homemade Tortilla.  This did not taste fresh or homemade in any way.  My nephew is from California and eats tacos on a regular basis.  He agreed that the tortillas were bland and tasteless.  I took one bite of the Ahi Taco and could not stand the taste.  Over flowing with a mess of Wasabi mayonnaise that covered the lettuce, cabbage and the very little pieces of Ahi tuna.  I opened the taco and counted about 4 or 5 pieces of Ahi that were so smothered in mayonnaise that you could not taste anything else.  This was a mayonnaise taco and nothing more.  Cannot believe I paid $8 for this taco.  I took another bite and could go no further.  This baby was thrown in the trash.  The salsa served with the taco was also bland and tasteless.  My Nephew tried the Kalua Pork Taco and said it was tasteless.
This place really disappointed us a we thought we might find that little hole in the wall place with great tacos.  Next time I am driving through Waimea, I will keep driving past Island Taco.
 
ISLAND TACO KALUA PORK TACO 
 
ISLAND TACO IN WAIMEA, KAUAI
ORDER AT THE COUNTER AND STAND AROUND OR TAKE A SEAT OUTSIDE
HAND WRITTEN MENU INSIDE THE ORDER AREA






SEARED WASABI AHI TACO
HARD TO FIND ANY SEARED AHI IN THIS TACO
LOADED WITH RICE AND MAYONNAISE.  VERY LITTLE AHI TUNA IS THIS TACO

2 comments:

  1. seared wasabi taco looks like someone threw up in a tortilla shell

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best fish taco I ever ate. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments and feedback