NEW BLOG FEATURE

NEW: VIEW RIGHT SIDE TAB AND SELECT
CITY FOR TASTE OF HAWAII FAVORITES!

Sunday, May 4, 2008

LOS BARRIOS - SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS

LOS BARRIOS 
SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS

After seeing the Battle of the Puffy Taco's on The Food Network, I had to visit Los Barrios when I visited San Antonio, Texas.  Los Barrios won the competition versus Bobby Flay.  I did my research, wrote down the address and phone number and ventured from my hotel to find a cab driver who could find the place.  I told the first cab driver to take me to Los Barrios and without hesitation he said o.k. and told me the food was great there.  I had no idea where we were going  or how far it was.  We got on the freeway and traveled a few miles towards the airport.  Then we took an exit that led into a not so great neighborhood and traveled through a residential/light commercial neighborhood in the middle of what to me was nowhere.  There was a paint store on one corner a auto mechanic across the street and then the huge sign that announced we had arrived at Los Barrios.  The cab drive one way was $15.  I asked the cab driver if it would be easy to catch a cab back to the hotel after lunch.  He said that he would wait for me without charge.  I arrived just before 11:00 a.m. and thought that the place would be closed until 11:00.  To my surprise the place was open and already filling up on one side of the restaurant.  The reception area of the restaurant was turned into a shrine of flowers and photographs of the founder of the restaurant.  Sadly, she was murdered just a few days before my visit.  You could tell the staff was in grief, but they proudly and efficiently kept the business going despite their great loss.  I was quickly served hot chips and a hot salsa that kept me drinking water and thirsting for more of the heat.  The menu at Los Barrios has all the Mexican favorites; tacos, enchiladas, chalupa's, burritos, fajitas, tamales as well as continental cuisine that includes steaks, fish, shrimp and chicken dishes with a Mexican flare.  I opted for the lunch special which included a chicken enchilada, chicken puffy taco and beans and rice.  All for $5.25.  That is it $5.25.  My cab fare was more expensive than the meal.  The enchilada was great.  The chicken puffy taco was also terrific.  The taco was served on a deep fried corn  tortilla then topped with seasoned shredded chicken, lettuce and tomato.  Simple and delicious.  I could not leave without trying the beef puffy taco so I ordered one on the side for $2.50.   I was expecting shredded beef but was surprised to see ground beef in the taco.  The beef was a little watery but had some taste.  I would suggest the chicken puffy taco over the beef.  All in all I loved Los Barrios and can't wait to return someday.  

MY FIRST EVER PUFFY TACO AT LOS BARRIOS

LOS BARRIOS MEXICAN CUISINE IN SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS IS HOME TO THE PUFFY TACO





7 comments:

  1. Customized French fries boxes when printed satisfies the promotional need of businesses in a way that it carries a logo and other company details on the box. Custom French fries boxes with logo are an ideal packaging solution to the fast-food sellers as it assists in branding their product. French Fries boxesare unique and are famous for their discrete shape and are special for handling French fries. The top of the box is kept uncovered.
    French Fries boxes
    Noodle boxes
    Burger boxes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post. It proves very informative for me. Great post to read. Keep updating.
    noodle boxes
    custom noodle boxes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a new user of this site so here i saw multiple articles and posts posted by this site, I curious more interest in some of them hope you will give more information on this topics in your next articles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I’ve really enjoyed browsing your blog posts.
    Presentation Boxes
    Pre Roll Packaging

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I hope You are fine. Your work is very good. I read all your published blogs. Your blogs are very informative for me and hope so for everyone. I should be very thankful to you and Your Team. I offered all of You my business which is related to Custom Burger Boxes. My company name is RushPackaging. We offered to You Custom Boxes Wholesale all over the World with Free Shipping and Wholesale Rate. We delivered our service on time.
    Custom Coffee Packaging
    Popcorn Boxes Wholesale
    Cupcake Boxes Wholesale
    Burger Packaging

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments and feedback