NEW BLOG FEATURE

NEW: VIEW RIGHT SIDE TAB AND SELECT
CITY FOR TASTE OF HAWAII FAVORITES!

Monday, June 30, 2008

DIET UPDATE


DIET UPDATE
It's Working


After two weeks I have shed 7 pounds.  I am using the Alli program which was recently FDA Approved.  The program is part medicine and part exercise and just good basic eating habits.
The key is to reduce the amount of fat you consume.  The drug also helps to block fat from entering the body.  When you buy the program (On Sale for $50), you get a 90 day supply of pills. and several books that outline how the program works.  I found the books to be very helpful but also went online to do a lot of research on the program.  I was shocked to learn the fat content of many of my favorite foods.  With this diet you need to keep your total fat content under 45 grams per  day or 15 grams per meal.  On many days, I keep my fat content to under 20 grams per day!  This means eating more fruits and vegetables plus limiting the amount of meat and dairy products you eat.  The side effect of the Alli pill is that if you eat too much fat you will crap your pants quickly and sometimes unexpectedly.  If that isn't a reason to stay away from fat I don't know what is.  With that on my mind, I take extra care to read labels and search out healthy options while dining out.  Our eating lifestyle has changed, but we have actually been loving the meals.  It is now fun to be creative in the kitchen.  We enjoy steak, chicken, fish, enchiladas and most everything else on this diet.  We cut out all the butter, sauces, creams and high fat products and replaced them with low fat alternatives.  I even downloaded nutritional guides for all of the fast food restaurants that we eat at.  I was amazed to see the fat and calorie content of some of my favorite foods.  Did you know that the worst fast food place by far is Quizno's.  Yes.  There sandwiches are loaded with fat and calories.  The Tuna Melt alone has 175 grams of fat and over 2000 calories.  That is one sandwich.  When dining out I use my nutrition guides to help me order.  If nothing meets my criteria.  Under 15 grams of fat, I do not  order it.  The same goes for our home cooked meals.  We limit the fat to under 15 grams.  So far...so good.  When I get the urge for a burger, we make a veggie burger and load it with onions, tomato, lettuce and zero calorie relish.  We use low or fat free cheese and cook more with Pam rather than butter or olive oil.  In addition to watching the fat intake, I have been exercising daily for 30-45 minutes.  I have more energy and feel better now.  I have no problem with the diet and want to continue for as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your comments and feedback